Grading Requirements Change for students enrolled in High School in the 2020-21 School Year

Assembly Bill (AB) 104

Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 (Gonzalez) into law on July 1, 2021.  As an “urgency bill,” the provisions of AB 104 went into immediate effect upon his signature. 

This application to request a grade change was posted by the California Department of Education (CDE) on July 15th whereby the district has 15 days to post a notice on the Internet website (posted on the BHS, GVHS/21st websites) and notify Students/Parents/Guardians in writing of the following information detailed below. The application to request a grade change is linked here: Application to request grade change link.

  • Grading requirements for students enrolled in high school in the 2020-21 academic year.
    1. Eligible students (18 years or older or Parent(s)/Guardian(s)) may request to have a letter grade earned for any course, as reflected on the student’s transcript changed to a Pass or No Pass grade. There is no limit to the number of types of courses eligible for the grade change. 
    2. California State Universities are required to accept a transcript with a pass/no pass instead of a letter grade for any student enrolled in CA high school from 2020-2024 school years (inclusive).
  1. The University of California (UC) and private postsecondary institutions that have agreed to comply with accepting the Pass/No Pass grade are linked here. Not all postsecondary institutions, including those that are out of state, will accept the Pass/No Pass grade instead of a letter grade. Postsecondary institution acceptance may be impacted by the Pass/No Pass grade.


Students/Parents/Guardians are required to submit the grade change application to the Informed K12 Form linked above within 15 calendar days of the receipt of this information or bring the form to the Student Services Office. We will not accept applications after August 11, 2021.